EOH Trek Ladakh
Join us on a two week inner and outer journey through the “land of high places”, amidst the awe-inspiring landscape and community of Ladakh. This Himalayan pilgrimage will be anchored in the context of the Economics of Happiness conference and beliefs, which will be the platform for participant inspiration and education. The conference will be the starting point and prevailing context for the pilgrimage, grounding participants in the need for locally based, community-minded economies and the scalable impact of this vision. Participants will experience the local culture, community, economy and environment of Ladakh and the experience will be underpinned with a daily connection, mindfulness and well-being program.
- Attend the Economics of Happiness Conference in Leh
- An 8-day trek through Ladakh with both campsites and homestays
- Immerse yourself in community and local cultures
- Connect with like-minded people who also believe in the power of mindfulness and wellbeing programs
This is a pilgrimage in the true sense of the word. Participants will travel to Ladakh to learn about the Economics of Happiness, made famous by Bhutan but now an international movement. There they will immerse themselves in local culture and programmes that exemplify community. Once the Conference is over we will head into the mountains for an 8-day trek through some of the remotest and beautiful landscapes on the planet. We will stay in small villages, learning and understanding their way of life before arriving back in Leh.
This pilgrimage will advocate and support the teachings of the Economics of Happiness (EOH) conference and also the global organiser of the event, Local Futures and the values of Gross National Happiness
The tour will be facilitated by Happy Spaces and partner organisations and No Roads Expeditions (that's Us).
In addition to the conference, trek and local experiences, the pilgrimage will be underpinned by a daily facilitated connection, mindfulness and wellbeing program.
Sept 19 Day 1 BD
Arrive Leh and transfer to Singge Palace. Meet at airport and transfer to hotel. Rest of the day is free for you to relax and acclimatize to the high altitude weather. Late afternoon there will be a gentle orientation walk of Leh and its local market. Singge Palace Hotel
Sept 20 Day 2
Leh- Economics of Happiness Conference BD
Sept 21 Day 3
Leh - Economics of Happiness Conference BD
Sept 22 Day 4
Leh Sightseeing, visit Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace, Shey and Thiksey monastery BD
After breakfast, we start with a sightseeing tour of Leh. Visit Shanti Stupa – built by Japanese monks, this Buddhist white shared dome holds the relics of Lord Buddha at its base. Also, visit Leh Palace – a nine-storey palace built in 1553 from where one has a beautiful view of the city and surrounding mountains. Later proceed for a day excursion of Thikshay Monastery - located on top of the hill which resembles Potala Palace in Lhasa and houses a large statue of Buddha. On our way back to Leh we will visit Shey Palace - monastery noted for its giant copper with a gilded gold statue of seated Shakyamuni Buddha.
Sept 23 Day 5 (1st day Trek) BLD
Drive to Zingchen via Spituk; Trek to Rumbak BLD Camp. After breakfast drive to Zingchen en-route visiting Spituk Monastery – a beautiful monastery offering a commanding view of the Indus valley below and mountains around. After the visit, continue to drive to Zingchen where trekking helpers and ponies are waiting. After loading up of baggage, we start the trek following the Zingchen Nala until one reaches the campsite at Rumbak (3hrs trek).
Sept 24 Day 6 Trek to Yurutse (2nd Day Trek) BLD Camp
Morning trek along the main trail. The landscape is barren and mountains brighten with a yellow glow and green pastures. We will reach the next campsite Yurutse (3 – 4hrs trek).
Sept 25 Day 7 Trek to Skiu (3rd Day Trek) BLD Camp
After breakfast ascend towards Ganda La (4900m). Later descend towards Shingo village, from where the trail leads into a narrow gorge leading towards Skiu (6 – 7hrs trek).
Sept 26 Day 8 Trek to Markha (4th Day Trek) BLD Camp
Today is a long but easy walk along the valley towards our next campsite Markha Village (5 – 6hrs trek).
Sept 27 Day 9 Trek to Thachungste (5th Day Trek) BLD Camp
After breakfast visit Markha Monastery. Later start towards next campsite through Chamcham Valley. En-route visit Umlung Gompa - an important monastery in this valley and affiliated to Hemis Monastery. Reach Hankar village from where the trail follows the Nimaling stream till Thachungste (6 – 7hrs trek).
Sept 28 Day 10 Trek to Nimaling (6th Day Trek) BLD Camp
Today there will be a short walk to the next campsite Nimaling from where one can have a nice view of Kang Yatze Peak (3 – 4hrs trek).
Sept 29 Day 11 Trek to Shang Sumdo (7th Day Trek) BLD Camp
After breakfast ascend a long and steep trail to Kongmaru La (5200m). After the pass, there is a steep descent followed by a gradual descent towards our next campsite of Shang Sumdo (7 – 8hrs trek).
Sept 30 Day 12 (8th Day Trek)
Trek to Hemis, Drive to Leh BD Singge Palace. Morning descent towards Hemis Monastery – the largest and wealthiest monastery of Ladakh belonging to Drukpa Lineage. After the visit drive to Leh and check into the hotel.
Oct 1 Day 13
Transfer to airport for flight home
Note: A single supplement is available just for accommodation in Leh. The cost for this is $400. Outside of Leh on the trek accommodation will be shared in either Homestays or tents.
- 4 Nights Hotel accommodation at Singge Palace including breakfast & dinner in hotels mentioned or similar as per Indian standards.
- 2 days at Economics of Happiness Conference including day excursions
- 7 Nights/ 8 Days Trekking and Camping (On TWIN sharing basis), including all trekking arrangements on full board with local trekking guide, camping equipment, full kitchen gear, camping staff, camping charges and support transportation as per the itinerary.
- All monument entrances as per the sightseeing mentioned in the above itinerary.
- KVT Escort expenses, including wages, accommodation, meals, transpiration, except for any internal flight ticket.
- Local English speaking guide for city tour as per the sightseeing mentioned in the above itinerary.
- Transportation at Ladakh by Non-Air conditioned SUV vehicle with driver, fuel and road taxes for the whole trip including journey, sightseeing and arrival/departure transfers as per the itinerary.
- Domestic airfare for Delhi-Led-Delhi (quoted separately).
- Tips for local staff, guide, soft or alcoholic drinks, excluded food – other than mentioned, Laundry, camera fees, travel Insurance covering emergency evacuations due to sickness, natural disaster or any other health problems.
- Any Meal (Lunches / Dinners) except mentioned above
- Expenses of personal nature
- Any International or Domestic flights
- Anything which is not included in the clause “Package Cost Includes”.