The Battle of the Beachheads in Gona, Buna and Sanananda was the last stage of the PNG campaign.
The Australian’s went into this campaign with the belief it would be an easy to win battle, the Japanese had lost so many of their men and the ones who remained were assumed to be exhausted, unwell and unable to put up much of a fight.
The reality of this battle could not have been more different. The Japanese had new troops flown in and they were 9000 men strong who were healthy, fit and prepared to fight to the death.
This final campaign turned out to be one of the bloodiest and fought in incredibly tough conditions. Malaria was rampant amongst soldiers on both sides, supplies of food and medication were very low and the jungle terrain made communication difficult.
Australia lost 967 people killed in action, 228 died of wounds, 66 were missing and presumed dead and 2210 were wounded in action.
- Accurate and balanced history delivered by your Australian Guide
- Understand what Australian and Japanese soldiers endured during WWII
- Visit the northern beaches of Buna, Gona and Sanananda
Join us on this non-trekking tour of the Northern Beachheads to explore this area that was fought under such tough conditions.
Day 01: Arrive Port Moresby. Transfer to Holiday Inn.
Day 02: Flight to Popondetta. From Popondetta we head to the northern beaches and Sanananda
Day 03: Tour of the northern beaches
Day 04: Gona and Buna and then flight to Port Moresby
Day 05: Fly home
Day 01: Arrive Port Moresby and transfer to hotel. Pre-expedition briefing.
Day 02: Depart Port Moresby on PNG Air flight to Popondetta (30 minute flight). You will be greeted by our local guide in Popondetta. You will meet up with the group that have just finished their Kokoda trek and together drive on to Gona where you will be picked up by boat before transferring to the village of Sanananda. (B,L,D).
Day 03: From our base at Sanananda we will use our boat to visit the battlefield of Buna. In the afternoon we will walk up to the Japanese Hospital and tour Sanananda Village before having some free time in the afternoon. (B,L,D).
Day 04: Waking up early we will board the boat back to Gona where we will visit sites in relation to the Gona battlefield. We will then transfer to Popondetta and fly back to Port Moresby. Arriving back at the hotel we will have time to relax for the evening. (B,L).
Day 05: Transfer from hotel to your flight home or next destination. (B)
- Hand selected and trained Australian and Local Guide for the entire expedition
- All domestic scheduled flights within PNG
- Satellite phone for emergency purposes
- AED Defibrillator on all Australian Led trip
- Government Taxes (except visa charge and civil aviation terminal facilities charge)
- 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 fresh dinners. (Dietary requirements can be incorporated)
- All transfers including those from the airport
- Visit Bomana War Cemetery
- All accommodation outside of Port Moresby in guest houses
- 2 nights accommodation in Port Moresby twin share (4 star Holiday Inn : the best in Port Moresby)
- Access to your Australian Guide for advise prior to the expedition
- International Flights
- Travel Insurance
- Tips to General Guides
- Personal Spending Money
Port Moresby Nature Park
Port Moresby\'s Nature Park is a must see for those interested in t [...]